I've been thinking of dyeing my own yarn for a while now, and I just ordered 6 skeins from knitpicks to get started. For now, I'm going to experiment with Kool-Aid dyeing and see how I do with that before trying acid dyes (if I try them at all).
I've been doing some research, and I thought you all might be interested in some yarn dyeing links too, whether you plan on using Kool-Aid or something else.
- Knitpicks has a tuturial. Scroll down and click the free pattern download button.
- Knitty also has one.
- Fig and plum has some nice pictures of hand-painting.
- And here's a tutorial on using Wilton's icing dye for yarn.
- Although these are written for acid dyes, they are good instructions for doing handpaint in general.
- Pea Soup shows how to dye with regular food coloring, and the skein in the pictures is too cute!
- See Eunny Knit has a very good tutorial on tying off your yarn to make a self-striping yarn with regular stripe repeats.
- And here's another tutorial on making your own self-striping yarn.